Today I want to talk about one of my favourite city in world: Paris!
I now live in Milan and I’m pretty happy here. Milan has changed a lot in the past years and is becoming every day a more cosmopolitan city (without losing the Italian charm) and, if you are a design addicted like me, Milan is the place to be.
But Paris is still in my heart: I’ve lived there for two years and still think Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. I miss it, I miss walking around the Marais or Le Quartier Latin, I miss La Seine and the beautiful Pont des Arts, the little bistros and les terraces…but above all I miss our apartment in the 11 arrondissement.
Our Parisian apartment had all the elements of a typical haussmannian apartment and it was so charming: old wooden floor, molding and ceiling decoration, a little fireplace, big windows with view on the Parisian roofs and a lot of light.
It also had a blue entry door and this old bistro just next door. To me, it was simply perfect!
Oh, maybe I should mention it was super tiny (just 30 mq), on the 5th floor (no elevator) and the rent was really expensive….well, I guess nothing in life is perfect!
So, if you love Paris and want to recreate a Parisian inspired interior at your home, make sure you follow these tips:
– TOTAL WHITE: There is only one color you can use on the wall: white. Parisian apartments are almost always painted in white; white is elegant, chic but above all it allow to make the most of the light in those grey Parisian days.
– MOULURES: for a very Parisian look, think of adding some white moldings and ceiling decorations, it will give your house that vintage-chic French look.
1 – 2
– WOOD FLOOR: choose an old wood floor for a more easy look or a “Chevron” wood flooring (also called French Herringbone) for a more haussmannian look.
– VERSAILLES VIBES: yes, for a real Parisian apartment, you need to add a touch of glow and gold. Don’t be afraid, it is not too much!
– MIX AND MATCH: regarding decoration, mix and match is definitely the way to go to recreate that little “Je ne sais pas quoi”, that typical French allure that we love: mix a design table with some old bistro chairs, add a carpet or two, mix some classic elements with some funny objects…
– VINTAGE TOUCH: don’t forget to add some vintage pieces, Parisian love their “brocantes” and Parisian marchés aux puces are the most famous in the world.
Well, for this view I only have one solution…move to Paris!
Great article Mariana. Gave the essence of the Parisian look.
Thanks! Glad you liked it!
Me encanta! Buen artículo! Mi estilo favorito!
A mi tambien me encanta el estilo parisino!
Gigi Uy says
Thank you so much for the interior notes, tips on how to have a Parisian look to our home. We are building our “Parisian Home” very soon here in the Philippines simply because Paris is our favorite city in the world.
Jen Grauer says
This is exactly what I’ve always loved about classic Parisian apartments. You put this together beautifully!